Photo Credit: Getty Images 

Caitlin Clark will finally make her first Indianapolis 500 appearance, and she is set to play a prominent role in one of motorsport's biggest events. Organizers announced on Tuesday that the Indiana Fever star has been selected as the grand marshal for this year's sold-out race and will deliver the traditional starting command before the event begins on Sunday.

Clark's basketball schedule had previously prevented her from taking part in race week activities despite widespread interest from local fans. Last year, scheduling conflicts made an appearance difficult as the Fever had games surrounding race weekend. During her rookie season in 2024, Indiana also played during the same period, limiting her availability.

This year, however, the calendar has aligned more favorably. The Fever are scheduled to host the expansion Portland Fire on Wednesday and Golden State on Friday before entering a six-day break, giving Clark the opportunity to participate in the iconic event.

In a statement following the announcement, Clark expressed excitement and gratitude about being part of the occasion. She said she felt honored to represent Gainbridge and looked forward to experiencing one of Indiana's most celebrated traditions, describing the Indianapolis 500 as a unique event that holds special meaning for the state.

Since entering professional basketball, Clark has continued to elevate the profile of women's basketball at both the college and professional levels. Her popularity has consistently drawn large crowds, with several teams moving games to larger venues to accommodate demand.

Clark entered the WNBA as the number one overall pick in the 2024 draft and immediately made an impact. During her rookie campaign, she won Rookie of the Year honors while breaking several league records, including the single-season assists mark. She also left college basketball as the NCAA's all-time leading scorer.

Earlier this year, Clark added another achievement to her growing list of accolades by being named Most Valuable Player at the 2026 FIBA World Cup Qualifying Tournament after returning from an injury-affected second professional season.

Her selection places her alongside a list of notable figures who have previously delivered the Indianapolis 500 starting command, including athletes, musicians and actors. Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Doug Boles said Clark's presence would bring excitement and energy to one of Indiana's most cherished sporting traditions.

Only registered members can post comments.

RECENT NEWS

LATEST JOB OFFERS

AROUND THE CITIES