
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Anne Hathaway is opening up about her new look, but now, in her own terms.The Oscar-winning actress, 43, addressed months of swirling speculation that she had undergone a facelift in a new interview with Elle published Thursday, confirming she has not had plastic surgery while admitting the online noise had grown too loud to ignore any longer.
"My preference would be to never comment on anything and to just live in the mystery," Hathaway told the magazine. "But the speculation has gotten so loud that you do feel the need to just get your truth out there."
The rumors reached a fever pitch earlier this year when Hathaway appeared noticeably lifted on several red carpets. Her first quiet response came in March, when she posted a video featuring her hairstylist, Orlando Pita, demonstrating a simple technique, two braids at the temples, pulled back and pinned, that creates a subtle but visible lift.
In the video, Pita walked viewers through the method step by step, with Hathaway noting the trick helps her "look a little more awake." She also previously revealed she uses bobby pins to plump her lips.
Reflecting on that post Thursday, Hathaway said she may always second-guess whether sharing it was the right call. "I'll probably always wonder, should I have posted that or not?" she said. But she felt the conversation had become too distracting to leave unchecked.
She also pushed back on the casual certainty with which people had drawn their conclusions. "We're at a time when people feel very confident in assuming what they think is fact," she said. "And sometimes what they think is accurate and sometimes it's not."
Hathaway was clear that a facelift represents a significant medical choice, one that she has not made. "It's just two braids," she said pointedly.
That said, she left the door open. "I might still get a facelift someday," she added with a laugh.
The actress also reflected on how the criticism would have hit harder in her younger years, when fear made her harsher on herself.

